FAQ: What routine maintenance should I expect as a landlord?
Posted by: raindrop 6 years, 4 months ago
Coronado Island Realty’s goal is to remove the stress of owning a rental property.
With that said, some maintenance items will arise periodically. The following is a list of common routine maintenance issues with which you can familiarize yourself. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us!
1. Plumbing: We have clauses written into our leases that drain clogs that occurring more than 30 days after the lease commences are the responsibility of the tenant. However, there are still other potential plumbing issues like leaking faucets, cracked pipes, etc that may arise.
2. Appliances: Appliances occasionally fail. We work to decide whether repairing or replacing an appliance is the most cost-effective decision. On expensive repairs or replacements we will consult you first.
3. Landscaping: We work with a landscape company that we sub-contract to, if you do not already have a landscaper. This monthly expense can either be charged to the tenant in addition to the rent, or incorporated into the rent. Keep in mind that it is far less expensive to maintain landscaping then to have to redo landscaping.
4. Tree Trimming: Tree trimming is important to maintaining the exterior of your property and the health of the tree. Oftentimes trees are located near a door of the home, and can overgrow and get in the entryway. In addition, the tree may shed quite a bit and trimming can keep the shedding from getting out of control. Finally, some types of trees must be trimmed to keep them healthy.
5. Chimney Sweep: Chimney Sweeping is important to maintaining the safety of your home. Without obtaining regular chimney sweeps, your home is more likely to catch fire. Additionally, the chimney may start to smell from build-up if it is not properly cleaned regularly.
6. Roof Leaks: We strongly recommend that our owners have their roofs checked every 5 years, and maintained as necessary. Oftentimes, roof leaks are noticed during a windy storm. These types of storms are rare in San Diego, but do occur.
7. Pool Maintenance: Regular pool maintenance is necessary to maintain the cleanliness and safety of the pool.
8. HVAC Maintenance: Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Maintenance will arise occasionally. In our leases, we require our tenants to have SDG&E inspect their furnace upon move-in. This is a free service. However, SDG&E occasionally finds problems that require a licensed technician come out to repair the appliance.
9. Carpet and Vinyl Replacement, Paint: Fresh carpet, vinyl, and paint are one of the easiest ways to quickly rent your home. If the carpet has been ruined by the tenant, we will prorate the expense for replacing it and chare the tenant’s deposit.
10. Hard Wood Floor Re-sealing: Occasionally hardwood floor needs to be refinished. This is a 3 daylong task that should occur during a turnover.
11. Misc. Handyman Expenses: As any homeowner knows, miscellaneous expenses that require a handyman service periodically arise.
12. Gutter Clearing: If you have trees next to your roof, their leaves will collect in the gutter. Clearing the gutter periodically is crucial to ensuring the gutters don’t get clogged.
For more information on our services, please visit our Property Management Page or call (619) 435-0145!Share on Twitter Share on Facebook
San Diego Homes
- Fall Home Maintenance Tips
- Things To Do This Weekend: Sept 22-24
- Looking for a Coronado Rental? Here are Tips for finding a home!
- Which Famous Author Visited 550 A Ave?
- Build Your Dream House in the Coronado Cays!
- Blog (339)
- Buyer's Guide to Buying a Home (11)
- DIY Homeowners (55)
- FAQ Buyer (35)
- FAQ Property Management (7)
- FAQ Renters (7)
- FAQ Seller (32)
- FAQ Short Sale (6)
- Friday Favorites (4)
- Home Projects (59)
- Listings (132)
- Local Info (73)
- Market Matters (34)
- Open House (18)
- Rentals (18)
- Staging (1)
- Things to do (76)
- Tips (5)
- Tips for Buyers (7)
- Tips for Homeowners (5)
- Tips for Renters (5)
- Tips for Sellers (5)
- Tips/FAQs (2)
FeedsRSS / Atom
Latest NewsSeptember 25, 2017 Fall Home Maintenance Tips September 21, 2017 Things To Do This Weekend: Sept 22-24 September 18, 2017 Looking for a Coronado Rental? Here are Tips for finding a home! READ MORE
Our initial experience with you, especially with your demonstrable expertise, knowledge, and willingness to both educate and work with us regarding the market and related considerations particular to Coronado, resulted in a gratifyingly helpful and positive experience for us.—Robert R. READ MORE